Kicked Up Tuna Melt
- 4 cans water-packed solid white tuna - (6 oz ea) drained
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives pitted and minced (or other brine-cured black olives)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise plus
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise plus
- more for spreading
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon capers plus
- 1 teaspoon capers drained
- 1 tablespoon freshly-ground black pepper plus
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 slices rustic white bread (or other dense white bread)
- 2 medium tomatoes sliced (or 8 tomato slices)
- 4 ounces provolone cheese thinly sliced
Preheat the broiler and position the oven rack about 6 inches from the broiler.
Combine the tuna, olives, mayonnaise, red onion, capers, black pepper, lemon juice, and salt in a medium bowl. Stir until well mixed.
Arrange the bread slices on a work surface. Lightly spread each slice of bread with additional mayonnaise and top with 2 tomato slices each. Divide the tuna salad evenly among the 4 bread slices over the tomatoes. Top the tuna salad with slices of provolone.
Place sandwiches on a sheet tray and place under broiler. Cook until cheese is golden and bubbly, about 5 minutes.
This recipe yields 4 sandwiches.