Grilled Mushroom Salad Subs
- 2 baguettes halved across, split, some of the soft insides removed
- 4 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 2 rounded tablespoons spicy mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 8 portobello mushroom caps stems removed and wiped clean with damp cloth
- Coarse salt to taste
- Coarsely-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely-chopped parsley
- 6 cups deveined triple washed spinach coarsely chopped
- 3/4 pound manchego cheese thinly sliced (common Spanish sharp table cheese, available in the specialty cheese case, or s
- 4 piquillo peppers, pimientos or roasted red peppers patted dry, and cut into strips
Preheat a grill pan to medium-high heat or prepare outdoor grill.
Turn the oven on moderate heat. Place the hollowed bread in oven to crisp, 5 minutes.
In a small bowl, whisk together sherry vinegar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, extra-virgin olive oil and garlic. Place mushrooms in a shallow dish and pour marinade over the caps. Turn caps in marinade and season with salt and pepper. Let stand 10 minutes. Prep your parsley and spinach.
Grill mushrooms 4 to 5 minutes on each side and remove to a cutting board a few at a time. Thinly slice the mushrooms and transfer back to the dish you marinated them in and add parsley and spinach as you go, layering hot mushrooms with the herb and greens. Once all the hot sliced mushrooms combine with the spinach, the greens will wilt up a bit. Toss the salad and adjust the salt and pepper, to your taste.
Pile the salad into crispy bread and top with manchego cheese and red peppers of choice then set bread tops in place.
This recipe yields 4 servings.