Pepper Steak And Rice Pilaf With Mushrooms
- MUSHROOM RICE PILAF:
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 10 white mushrooms chopped
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 package rice pilaf mix - (6.09 oz) (Near East brand recommended)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
- PEPPER STEAK:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 pounds tenderloin tips or sirloin cut into chunks
- Coarse salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 green bell peppers seeded, cut 2" dice
- 1/2 white onion sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 1 1/2 cups beef consomme
- 1 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper
In a medium pot over medium to medium-high heat add a tablespoon of oil and a tablespoon of butter. When butter melts, add chopped mushrooms and saute 3 to 5 minutes. Add water and cover the pot. Add rice and pilaf packet to water. Stir to combine, reduce heat and cook 18 minutes. Add parsley, fluff with fork.
Preheat a large skillet over high heat. Add vegetable oil to really hot pan. Add meat and sear on all sides, 5 minutes. Season with salt and remove to a plate. Cover meat loosely with foil to hold heat.
Reduce heat on pan to medium. Add butter to pan. Add peppers and a little onion. Saute peppers and onions 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook 1 minute longer. Whisk in sherry and start to pick up pan drippings. Whisk in consomme and continue whisking. Add tomato and black pepper. Slide meat back into the pan and coat with sauce. Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
Spoon Pepper Steak over Mushroom Rice Pilaf and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.