Big Pink Rhubarb Cake
Big, pink and tasty, this rhubarb cake is easy to make and turns more like a crisp than a cake. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.
- YELLOW CAKE
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 4 yolks from large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- RHUBARB LAYER
- 3 cups sliced rhubarb, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 package strawberry Jello
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 45mins
Adapted from thekitchn.com
Grease and flour a 9x13-inch pan. Preheat the oven to 350°F. First make the yellow cake batter. Using a hand mixer or stand mixer, cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg yolks, milk, and vanilla until fully mixed. Finally add flour, baking powder, and salt to the mixing bowl and mix until fully combined. Set aside.
Evenly distribute the rhubarb on the bottom of the greased baking pan. Sprinkle the 1/2 cup sugar and contents of the strawberry Jello package onto the rhubarb. Layer the marshmallows on top of the rhubarb as evenly as possible. Lastly, pour the cake batter over all the ingredients. It's okay if a few marshmallows poke through; it will be a thin layer of batter.
Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, until the cake is done. Cool completely and dust with the powdered sugar. Serve with the creme fraiche or vanilla ice cream.
You'll also love
- Sear-Roasted Haddock or Cod with... 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Green Apple-Caramel Soda Float 4.5/5 (8 Votes)
- Spicy Cheese-Stuffed Fried Olives 4.4/5 (9 Votes)
- Springtime Rhubarb Crunch 4.5/5 (6 Votes)
- Dessert, Cake /Breakfast:... 4.4/5 (7 Votes)
- Rhubarb Cake with Jello 4.7/5 (3 Votes)
Review this recipe