Triple Beef Cheeseburgers with Spiced Ketchup & Red Vinegar Pickles
A juicy three meat burger is like heaven! You can top it with cheese and any vegetables and condiments to your liking. Or you can have it plain, either way this three meat burger is to die for!
- 1 1/4 pounds well-chilled beef brisket, trimmed of excess fat and sinew
- 1 1/4 pounds well-chilled boneless short ribs, trimmed of excess fat and sinew
- 1 1/4 pounds well-chilled hanger steak, skirt steak, or carne asada meat, trimmed of excess fat and sinew
- 5 ounces well-chilled beef suet
- 3 ounces well-chilled beef bone marrow
- 2 tablespoons red miso mixed with 1/4 cup water until smooth
- Olive oil, for brushing
- 8 large slices sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 large sesame seed buns, halved
- 8 tomato slices
- 8 red onion slices
- Fresh watercress sprigs
- Red Vinegar Pickles
- Spiced Ketchup
Adapted from epicurious.com
Back to the grind:
To make this burger, the meats, suet, and marrow must be ground. Their are three different ways to do this.
Have the butcher grind the meats. Ask your butcher to cut all trimmed meats into
3/4-inch pieces, chop the suet and marrow, and grind everything into 1/16-inch pieces.
Use a meat grinder.
Use a food processor. Cut all trimmed meats into 1/4-inch pieces. Chop the suet
and marrow. Freeze until partially frozen. Working in batches and using on/off
turns, grind into 1/16-inch pieces.
Combine all ground meats, beef suet, and bone marrow in large bowl and mix lightly with fork. Add miso mixture and stir lightly just to incorporate (do not over mix)
Divide meat mixture into 8 equal portions. Form each portion into scant 4-inch-diameter patty. Sprinkle both sides of patties generously with salt and pepper.
Brush 2 large skillets with oil; heat over medium-high heat. Add 4 burgers to
each skillet; cook 3 minutes.
Turn burgers over. Cook 2 minutes; top with cheese and cook 30 seconds to 1 minute longer for medium-rare.
Remove from heat.
Place 1 bun bottom on each of 8 plates. Top each with 1 burger, 1 tomato slice, 1 red onion slice, watercress, and red vinegar pickles.
Spread bun tops generously with spiced ketchup and place atop burgers.