Spinach Au Gratin
- 1 ounce clarified butter
- 1 ounce flour
- 1 pint half and half
- 2 1/2 pounds frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 24 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- salt and pepper, to taste
1. Heat the butter in a saucepan. Add the flour and cook to make a blond roux.
2. Drop the spinach into boiling salted water and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and drain well.
3. Add the half-and-half, whisking to remove any lumps of roux. Bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minute
4. Combine the hot spinach with the cream sauce and adjust the seasonings.
5. Fill eight 10-ounce gratin dishes with the creamed spinach. Top each with 3 ounces (90 grams) shredded cheddar cheese and place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and browned and the spinach is very hot. Serve immediately.