BEEF & EGGPLANT BOLOGNAISE PASTA BAKE
PER SERVE FOR 8 • 39g protein • 30g fat
(15g saturated fat) • 52g carb • 7g dietary fibre
• 673 Cals (2820kJ)
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 500 g Gravy Beef or mince
- 1 brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 celery stick, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
- 1 cup (250ml) dry red wine
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs coarsely chopped oregano
- 375 g dried penne
- 200 g punnet Perino grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup (35g) stale breadcrumbs (made from day-old bread)
- Cheese sauce
- 60 g butter
- 1/4 cup (35g) plain flour
- 2 cups (500ml) milk
- 1 1/2 cups (180g) coarsely grated tasty cheese
- 1/2 cup (40g) finely grated parmesan
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 140mins
1. Heat half the oil in a large heavy-based saucepan over high heat. Add half the beef and cook, turning, for 5 mins or until brown all over. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with remaining beef.
2. Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic.
Cook, stirring, for 5 mins or until onion softens. Add the eggplant and cook,
stirring, for 5 mins or until light golden. Return the beef to the pan and pour
over the wine. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Add the canned tomato,
tomato paste and oregano. Cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1½ hours or until beef is very tender.
3. Use tongs to transfer the beef to a large bowl. Coarsely shred the beef.
Return the beef to the sauce. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water
following packet directions or until al dente. Drain well.
5. Preheat oven to 200°C. To make the cheese sauce, melt the butter in
a saucepan over medium heat. Add the flour and cook, stirring, for 1 min or
until mixture is slightly grainy. Add the milk and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 mins or until sauce boils and thickens. Remove from heat. Add 1 cup of the tasty cheese and half the parmesan. Stir until melted and combined.
6. Combine the pasta, beef mixture and grape tomatoes in a large bowl. Spoon
into a 12-cup (3-litre) capacity ovenproof dish. Pour over the cheese sauce.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake for 30 mins or until
golden brown and bubbling.
You'll also love
- Corned Beef Hash with Poached Eggs 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Skillet Cajun Spiced Flounder with... 4.2/5 (15 Votes)
- Lobster Ravioli with Tomato Cream... 4.2/5 (19 Votes)
- Pasta with Fried Lemons and and... 4/5 (22 Votes)
- Duck Cigars 4.2/5 (11 Votes)
- Moroccan Beef Stew 4.7/5 (9 Votes)
- Low Carb Pizza-Stuffed Eggplants 4.3/5 (39 Votes)