Clam Chowder - Outback Steakhouse
- 2 ounces chopped onions
- 2 ounces chopped carrots
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley diced
- 1 ounce bacon chopped
- 1 pound potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 pounds canned chopped clams drain and reserve juice (20 oz)
- 3 dashes cayenne pepper
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- 3 dashes black pepper finely ground
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 9 ounces heavy whipping cream
- 4 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon shrimp base
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 2/3 cup flour
Over medium heat, cook down onions, carrots, parsley and bacon for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, steam potatoes for about 10 minutes, or until slightly tender.
Drain clams and reserve 1 cup clam juice. Set aside.
Add cayenne pepper, white pepper, black pepper and salt to the onion-vegetable mixture. Add heavy whipping cream, milk, reserved clam juice, and shrimp base and allow to come to boil.
In a smaller pot, melt butter and slowly whisk in flour to form roux. Once vegetable mixture is boiling, add roux and thouroughly stir.
Turn off heat and add clams. Add potatoes. Serve.