Breakfast Mushroom-Spinach Baked Eggs
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 6 cups baby spinach (about 6 ounces)
- 6 slices potato bread, lightly toasted
- 6 large eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup shredded gruyere cheese
Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook, undisturbed, until they begin to brown, about 2 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste; continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 4 more minutes. Stir in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool.
Brush a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Arrange the bread in the dish in a single layer with the edges slightly overlapping, then spoon the mushroom-spinach mixture on top. If making ahead, cover and refrigerate overnight.
When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Crack an egg onto each piece of bread; season with salt and pepper. Pour the milk evenly over the top and sprinkle with the cheese. Bake until the egg whites are set, 25 to 30 minutes.
Photograph by Con Poulos
Recipe courtesy Food Network Magazine
Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/mushroom-spinach-baked-eggs-recipe.html?oc=linkback
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (898 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (741 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (498 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken ‘n Spinach... 4.5/5 (217 Votes)
- Spinach Lasagna Roll-Ups 4.6/5 (148 Votes)
- Secretly Healthy Spinach Dip aka... 4.5/5 (137 Votes)