Creamed Charred Leeks With Filo Feta Parcels
- For the Leeks:
- 2 leeks, light-green/white parts cut in half lengthwise, keeping root intact to prevent them from falling apart, rinsed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 2/3 cups heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the Filo Parcels:
- 4 sheets frozen filo pastry, thawed
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 4 (2 1/2-inch square, 1/4-inch thick) pieces feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon thyme leaves (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Adapted from wsj.com
Make Creamed Leeks:
Preheat a griddle or cast-iron pan over high heat. Drizzle leeks with ½ tablespoon oil. Place leeks on hot griddle and cook, flipping occasionally, until slightly charred, about 7 minutes. Remove leeks from heat and let cool. Cut cooled leeks into 1-inch lengths, discarding roots.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add scallions and garlic, and cook until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in cream and leeks until combined. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until leeks are tender, cream has reduced by ⅔ and consistency is similar to creamed spinach, 30-35 minutes. Stir in herbs and season with salt and pepper. Turn heat off and leave pan on stove, covered, to keep warm.
Make Filo Feta Parcels:
Lay thawed filo dough sheets in a stack on a dry work surface. Remove one sheet of dough and lay flat on surface. Cover remaining stack of filo dough with a layer of plastic wrap, then a damp towel. Working quickly, brush sheet of filo with melted better, then fold in half crosswise from bottom to top. Brush top layer again with melted better. Place 1 feta square at left end of filo, about 2 inches from edge of dough. Sprinkle feta with thyme leaves, if using. Fold left short end of filo over feta, then fold two long edges over top of feta. Roll filo-feta packet from left to right to form a neat parcel. Brush surface with melted butter. Repeat with remaining filo and feta.
Heat oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Once hot, fry feta-filo parcels until just golden, 2-3 minutes per side.
To serve, place parcels on top of creamed leaks, drizzle with honey and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Serve immediately with a glass of ouzo!