Broccoli & Crouton Casserole
- 4 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme finely chopped
- 3 to 4 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- Black pepper
- 6 About 6 cups cubed stale white bread (such as Amy’s), enough to fill large casserole dish
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, divided
- 1 large or 2 medium heads of broccoli, cut into thin florets
- 5 to 6 cups cooked chicken, 4 poached
Preheat oven to 400°F.
Heat EVOO over medium heat in a sauté pan and add butter. When it foams, add garlic, thyme, parsley and black pepper; swirl for a minute or 2.
Place bread cubes in a large bowl, toss with butter sauce and half the cheese. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake until deeply golden and crispy, 20 minutes. (Croutons can be stored in foil at room temp or in an airtight container for several days.)
Bring a couple of inches of water to a boil in a deep skillet. Salt water and add broccoli; cook to tender-crisp, 5 minutes, and drain. (Broccoli can be stored in a plastic bag for several days.)
To assemble and bake casserole, arrange croutons in a dish, top with broccoli, chicken and soup, remaining Parm cheese. Bake until hot through and golden on top, 35-40 minutes