Outback Steakhouse Walkabout Onion Soup
This is a nice delightful soup that is easy to prepare. I personally like to use the 1015's sweet mild onions when they are in season.
- WHITE SAUCE:
- 2 cups yellow sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh pepper, ground
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1/4 cup Velveeta cheese, cubes, diced (compressed in measuring cup)
- 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups white sauce (below)
- Cheddar cheese, shredded for garnish
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 75mins
Adapted from food.com
In a 1 quart sauce pan melt butter and add flour, cook on medium heat until the flour turns thick and comes away from the sides of the sauce pan. Pour milk in flour a little at a time and stir constantly, add salt. Mixture should thicken and become like thick pudding. Remember to stir constantly taking care not to let mixture lump, set aside off from heat until ready to use for the soup.
In 2-quart sauce pan place 3 tablespoons butter and sliced onions.
Cook at low to medium heat stirring frequently until soft and clear but not brown.
Add chicken broth from can, chicken bouillon cubes, salt, pepper, and stir until completely heated through. Add white sauce and Velveeta cheese.
White sauce will be thick because it has been removed from the heat. Simmer on medium low heat until the cheese is melted and all ingredients are blended, stirring constantly.
Turn temperature to warm and let cook for additional 30 to 45 minutes.
Serve with a garnish of shredded cheddar cheese, and a couple of slices of warm dark Russian Bread.
You'll also love
- Outrageous Cherry Dr Pepper Cake 4/5 (127 Votes)
- Broccoli Salad 4.5/5 (55 Votes)
- Roasted Cauliflower with Parmesan... 4.4/5 (58 Votes)
- Zucchini, Squash, Onion & Cheese... 4/5 (95 Votes)
Review this recipe