Moist and Buttery Cornbread
Quick, easy, one pot, quick bake, fluffy cornbread with just the right sweetness and moistness.
- 1/2 c butter
- 1/2 c packed brown sugar (Add 2 Tbsp white sugar for sweeter cornbread)
- 2 eggs
- 1 c plain Kefir (or buttermilk or sour cream)
- 4 ounces of apple sauce (or pear puree)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 c cornmeal
- 1 c flour
Preparation time 5mins
Cooking time 25mins
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Melt butter in medium sauce pan over medium low heat.
2. Add sugar and stir until mixed.
3. Add eggs and stir well.
4. Add Kefir, apple sauce, baking soda, and salt. Mix well.
5. Add cornmeal and flour. Stir until just incorporated. Avoid over mixing.
6. Pour into a silicone baking dish, no larger than 9". (Batter should fill baking dish halfway--no more and no less.) If pouring into small molds, also fill only halfway.
7. Bake at 375 degrees for 17-20 minutes (17 minutes for small molds and 20 minutes for a single large mold.)
8. Serve hot or cool on rack 7-10 minutes. Invert and gently push cornbread out of the mold. (For the single large mold, run a knife along the edges before inverting.) Allow to cool completely before storing.