Southern Living 5-star Chili
This chili recipe is from a Southern Living 5-star recipe collection. It's my family's all-time favorite chili recipe. Top with shredded cheddar, sour cream, tortilla chips and extra hot sauce.
Rate this recipe 3.8/5 (48 Votes)
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can mexican-style chili beans, undrained
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (16 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 (12 ounce) can beer
- 1 (2 1/4 ounce) can sliced ripe olives, drained (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream
- Sliced ripe olives
- Tortilla chips
- Hot sauce or salsa
Brown ground beef with chili powder and ground cumin. Drain and set aside.
Sauté onions, garlic and jalapeño in vegetable oil about 5 minutes, or until tender. Add ground beef mixture.
Stir in tomato sauce, chili beans, water, tomato paste, salsa and chili powder. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
Add beans, beer, olives, cumin, and salt and pepper to taste. Simmer another 15 minutes or until ready to serve.
You'll also love
- Teppanyaki Style Fried Rice 4.2/5 (38 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Southwest 2 Bean and... 4.3/5 (23 Votes)
- Rustic Tuscan-Style Sausage, White... 4.4/5 (13 Votes)
Review this recipe