Use your favorite kind of plums, or sub nectarines or peaches, if desired. Make sure they're just firm and not too ripe.
- 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup bourbon
- 1/2 vanilla bean, split*
- 6 ripe plums, pitted and halved
- Vanilla ice cream
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract may be substituted.
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Using a vegetable peeler, remove thin layer of peel from lemon, leaving white pith intact. Halve lemon crosswise, and squeeze juice to equal 2 Tbsp. Place lemon juice, lemon peels, brown sugar, next 2 ingredients, and 2 Tbsp. water in a large skillet, and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Remove skillet from heat; stir in bourbon and vanilla bean.
2. Return skillet to heat, and add plums, cut sides down. Cook, basting with pan sauce, 3 to 4 minutes or until plums are just tender and lightly caramelized. Remove skillet from heat; discard vanilla bean and lemon peels. Cool 5 minutes. Serve plums and pan sauce with ice cream.