Sicilian Tomato Sauce
- olive oil - 1/4 cup
- butter - 1/4 cup (60 g)
- onions - 4 - 6, white, cut into thin rings
- garlic - 2 heads, peeled and sliced as thinly as possible
- Italian tomatoes - 2 96 oz (2.5 k) cans
- sugar - 1/3 cup (70 g) you can also use shredded carrots, but they will add an orange hue to the sauce
- tomato paste - 3 tbsp, Italian triple concentrate
- Italian herbs - 4 - 6 tbsp or use only shredded fresh basil
Adapted from comfortablefood.com
Melt the butter and the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed sauce pot.
When all the butter is melted, add the onions and garlic, salt well, and saute over medium heat for about 7 – 8 minutes, until the onion rings begin to lose their shape and soften.
Add the canned tomatoes (with their juices) and bring to a simmer.
When at simmering, reduce the heat and maintain a slow simmer for about two hours, stirring frequently.
Add the sugar, tomato paste and Italian herbs (if using dried herbs add now, if using fresh, add about 10 minutes before blending), stir well, and continue to simmer for about another hour.
Let the sauce cool a bit, then using a hand-held blender, puree until smooth.