Baker's Original German Chocolate Cake
A decadent German chocolate cake. One of my husband’s favorites that he has requested multiple times! I like to spread the frosting on the sides too.
- 1 (4-ounce) package baker's German sweet chocolate
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from food.com
Coconut-Pecan frosting (recipe follows).
Preheat the oven to 350° F.
Melt chocolate in water, and let cool.
Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in egg yolks. Stir in vanilla and chocolate.
Mix flour, soda, and salt.
Beat in flour mixture alternately with buttermilk.
Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Pour batter into three 9-inch layer pans, lined on bottoms with waxed paper.
Bake for 30 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly pressed in center. Remove and cool on rack for 15 minutes.
Combine evaporated milk, sugar, slightly beaten egg yolks, butter or margarine and vanilla in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened. Remove from heat.
Stir in shredded coconut and chopped pecans. Cool until thick enough to spread.
You'll also love
- Caramel Cinnamon Rolls 4.3/5 (96 Votes)
- Gumbo Fried Rice 4.4/5 (76 Votes)
- Grilled Chocolate Chip S’more... 4.6/5 (65 Votes)
- Debbie's Fresh Apple Cake 4.3/5 (82 Votes)
- German Chocolate Cupcakes with... 4.4/5 (74 Votes)
- Weight Watcher Hot Fudge Cake 4.3/5 (77 Votes)
- The Cake Boss's Chocolate Cake 4.4/5 (68 Votes)
- German Chocolate Cake Cookies 4.6/5 (46 Votes)