Creamed Onion Tart
- 1/2 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 3 thick bacon slices, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 pounds onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
Adapted from myrecipes.com
1. Preheat oven to 400°. Fit piecrust into a 9-inch tart pan lightly coated with cooking spray. Bake crust 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool.
2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until crisp; remove bacon, and drain on paper towels. Reserve drippings in skillet.
3. Reduce heat to medium, and melt butter with drippings; add onions and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, 5 minutes. Cover and cook about 10 more minutes or until onions are soft and lightly browned. Uncover and cook, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove skillet from heat, and cool completely.
4. Whisk together crème fraîche and next 6 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir in bacon and onions. Spread mixture in prepared crust.
5. Bake at 400° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden and set. Cool on a wire rack 10 minutes before slicing.