BBQ Corn Side Dish Recipe
Here we have a colorful and flavorful Side Dish that you can finish in your slow cooker.
This dish is EASY to prepare. Get all your ingredients together cook your Bacon and just pop it in the slow cooker. It will be ready when the rest of your meal is done.
The flavors of Bacon and BBQ Sauce add a smoky element, then we have the sweetness of the Corn and a little kick with Jalapeno and Red Peppers. With this dish you can adjust the heat from the Jalapenos and leave the seeds in, leave in a few or remove them if you prefer less heat, either way, this is a scrumptious side dish!
- ◾2 (16 oz.) Bags Frozen Sweet Yellow Corn
- ◾3 Jalapeno Peppers, diced (include the seeds if you like it hot to spice up this dish!)
- ◾1 Red Pepper, diced
- ◾6-8 Strips Bacon
- ◾1 Red Onion, diced
- ◾2 Tablespoons Brown Sugar
- ◾1 Cup Hickory Smoked BBQ Sauce ( I used Sweet Baby Rays)
- ◾Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Adapted from hotdishhomemaker.com
1. Cook Bacon in a large skillet on the stovetop. Pour out the Bacon grease but reserve about 2 Tablespoons in the pan. Set the Bacon aside to cool.
2. Add the Red Onion, Red Pepper and Jalapeno to the pan and cook until al dente. In other words we just want to soften the veggies a little bit, they will continue to cook in the slow cooker. This step ensures they will cook completely in the slow cooker.
3. Pour the Corn into a buttered slow cooker. Then add in the cooked Veggies.
4. Cut the Bacon into bite size pieces and also add it to the slow cooker.
5. Stir in the Brown Sugar and the BBQ Sauce, then give your Pepper mill a few turns over all and stir once again.
6. Set your slow cooker on low for about 2-3 hours. All slow cookers are different. The older models cook slower and the newer models cook faster and at a higher temperature so it is key that you know how your slow cooker works. Check the dish on the hour to see how it is cooking. Give the Veggies a stir to ensure you are getting even heating. If it is getting too hot, adjust your temperature down and likewise if it is cooking to slow turn the temperature up to high.
~Once the dish is done, put it in a nice serving bowl or simply transfer your slow cooker to the buffet table and turn it down to warm. You are ready to serve!
Recipe by: Hot Dish Homemaker