Broccoli and Quinoa Salad
Quinoa is an ancient grain native to South America. It is a complete protein, and it has a nutty taste and a chewy texture.
- ½ cup ( 125 mL) quinoa, rinsed 2 cups ( 500 mL) chopped broccoli florets 1/ 3 cup ( 75 mL) dried cranberries or raisins
- ¼ cup ( 60 mL) unsalted roasted sunflower seeds ¼ cup ( 60 mL) light mayonnaise ¼ cup ( 60 mL) plain yogurt 1 tsp. ( 5 mL) grated lemon zest 1 tbsp. ( 15 mL) fresh lemon juice 1 tsp. ( 5 mL) liquid honey Pinch salt Pinch freshly ground black pepper
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 35mins
1. In a saucepan, bring quinoa and 11⁄ 3 cups ( 325 mL) water to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and water is absorbed. Transfer to a large bowl and let cool.
2. Add broccoli, cranberries and sunflower seeds to the quinoa.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper. Pour over quinoa mixture and toss to coat. Makes 8 servings Nutritional analysis ( per serving): Energy: 155 kcal Protein: 3 g Carbohydrate: 25 g Fat: 5 g Fibre: 2 g Calcium: 30 mg Iron: 0.8 mg Sodium: 107 mg