Basque Lamb Stew
- 3 1/2 lbs. lamb shoulder, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, about 1 tablespoon chopped
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 10-ounce can roasted red bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1 large ripe tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup dry, full-bodied red wine
- 1 cup chicken stock*
- Freshly ground black pepper
1 Combine the lamb, half of the garlic cloves, rosemary, and white wine in a medium bowl. Let marinate for 2 to 3 hours. Drain the meat, discard the marinade, and pat dry with paper towels. Mince the remaining garlic cloves and set aside.
2 Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pan with lid, over medium-high heat. Working in batches, brown the meat on all sides, about 10 minutes per batch. Salt the meat as it browns.
3 Remove the meat from the pan and add the onions to the pan. Cook, scraping browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon, until the onions are soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook another minute.
4 Return the meat to the pan with the onions and garlic. Stir in paprika, roasted peppers, tomatoes, parsley, bay leaf, and red wine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium, and simmer uncovered for 15 minutes, allowing the liquids to reduce a bit. Then add the chicken stock, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, until meat is very tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Add freshly ground black pepper and more salt to taste.
Serve with rustic bread
You'll also love
- Whole Wheat Date Nut Bread 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- HCG Diet (P3/4) Coconut Flour... 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Shredded Pork Taquitos 4.5/5 (16 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Breakfast... 4/5 (61 Votes)
- Braised Lamb Breast in Slow Cooker 4.6/5 (9 Votes)
- Basque Vegetable Rice 4.4/5 (11 Votes)
- Basque Braised Chicken 4.3/5 (6 Votes)