Eggplant With Lamb, Tomato and Pine Nuts
- 2 large firm eggplants, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, more as needed
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound ground lamb or beef (80 percent lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1 (28-ounce) can tomato sauce, or 31/2 cups homemade sauce (see recipe)
- 12 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
Adapted from cooking.nytimes.com
Step 1Heat broiler and line a baking sheet with foil or parchment.
Step 2Brush both sides of eggplant slices with 2 tablespoons olive oil and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Arrange slices on prepared baking sheet and broil in batches until they are deep mahogany brown, turning once halfway through, 5 to 7 minutes per side.
Step 3Adjust the oven to 375 degrees with rack positioned in the center.
Step 4In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent, but not browned, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add ground lamb or beef, stirring frequently and breaking up meat into very small pieces with the side of a metal spoon. Season with remaining teaspoon salt, cinnamon and pepper. Sauté until meat is just cooked through. Taste and add more salt or pepper, or both, as needed.
Step 5In a medium skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add pine nuts and reduce heat to medium-low. Stir nuts to coat them with butter and continue stirring constantly until nuts are golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes. Keep a close watch over the nuts; they can burn quickly once they begin to brown. Transfer nuts to a bowl while still warm and salt
Step 6Coat a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking dish with remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Spread 1/2 cup of tomato sauce in the bottom of the dish. Lay 1/3 of the eggplant slices in a single layer over the sauce, covering as much surface area of the bottom of the dish as possible. Spoon half the meat evenly over eggplant. Pour 1/3 of the remaining tomato sauce evenly over meat. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the pine nuts. Layer again with eggplant, meat, tomato sauce and pine nuts. Finish with a layer of eggplant and cover with more tomato sauce, sprinkling top with pine nuts.
Step 7Pour 1 cup warm water around the perimeter of the baking dish. (Sauce will thicken as it bakes.) Cover pan with foil and bake for 90 minutes. Remove foil and top eggplant evenly with mozzarella. Bake for 15 minutes longer, uncovered, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden. Serve eggplant warm, over rice.
You'll also love
- Cranberry Sangria - Virgin or... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Dale's New England Clam Chowder 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Asian Roasted Carrots & Broccoli 4.4/5 (16 Votes)
- Potato-Leek Soup with Mini Pierogi 4.5/5 (15 Votes)
- Hanger Steak & Bacon Sandwich With... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- BBQ Pulled Pork 4.4/5 (12 Votes)
- Crispy Fried Green Tomatoes 4.5/5 (11 Votes)
- Bobby's Hot Tomato, Jack and Crab... 4.5/5 (11 Votes)