Basque Vegetable Rice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small dried red chile pepper, such as chile de arbol, broken
- 1 medium onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon paprika, preferably Spanish
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cups short-grain white rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth2 tablespoons finely minced fresh flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
- 6 lemon wedges, for garnish
1.Heat oil in a 12-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add chile pepper, onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft but not browned, about 6 minutes.
2.Add tomatoes, zucchini, bell peppers, paprika, thyme, salt and pepper; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes.
3.Add rice; stir to coat well with the tomato mixture. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until the rice is tender, 25 to 30 minutes. Serve hot directly from the pan, garnished with parsley and lemon wedges, if desired.