Dark Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes
From All Recipes Magazine; Submitted by mkecupcake-queen
- 12 slices bacon
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee, cold
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 40mins
1. Preheat oven to 375 dF. Line 2 (12-cup) muffin tins with cupcake liners. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until evenly brown. (or bake in oven - my favorite method). Drain, crumble, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together flour, 3/4 cup of cocoa powder, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Make a well in the center and pour in eggs, coffee, buttermilk, and oil. Stir just until blended. Batter will be thin. Mix in 3/4 cup bacon, reserving the rest for garnish. Spoon batter into prepared cups, dividing evenly.
3. Bake in preheated oven until the tops spring back when lightly pressed, 20-25 minutes. Cool in pan set over a wire rack. When cool, arrange cupcakes on a serving platter. Frost with your favorite chocolate frosting and sprinkle reserved bacon crumbles on top. Dust with remaining 1 tbsp. cocoa powder.
Per Serving: 185 cal; 8g fat (2g sat fat); 4g protein; 27g carb; 1g fiber; 286mg sodium; 23mg chop