Apricot-Ginger Buttermilk Scones
Dried apricots lend a tangy sweetness and a nice kick of fiber to these breakfast treats.
- 1 3/4 cups whole grain pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup chopped dried apricots (about 7 small whole apricots)
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3 1/2 tablespoons brown sugar
Adapted from organicgardening.com
1. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, apricots, and crystallized ginger. In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, butter, fresh ginger, lemon peel, and 3 tablespoons of the sugar until blended. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture and add the buttermilk mixture. Stir together just until combined. Do not overmix.
2. Sprinkle a sheet of plastic wrap lightly with flour. Scrape the dough onto the plastic and spread roughly into a 7" circle. Sprinkle the top of the dough lightly with flour and pat until smooth. Invert the round onto the baking sheet and score the top of the pastry into 8 wedges, using a sharp, flour-dipped knife. Spoon the remaining 1/2 tablespoon sugar into a sieve and sprinkle evenly over the top.
3. Bake for 15 to 17 minutes at 400°, or until golden. Cool on the baking sheet on a rack for 10 minutes. Cut into 8 wedges and serve with honey.