Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup
- 2.5 lb. chuck roast - cut into bite size pieces*
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 2 medium onions - chopped
- 1 green pepper - chopped
- 6 carrots - chopped
- 1 14oz. can diced tomatoes
- 48 oz. beef stock - more if needed
- 5 sprigs of fresh thyme - leaved pulled off stem
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh cracked pepper
Add all ingredients to a large 6 quart slow cooker, give a quick stir and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
Every few hours I like to give mine a stir and check the liquid level. If it looks as though there is not enough liquid you can add more stock or water.
* I like to freeze my roast for about 20 minutes before cubing. It makes cutting the meat a bit easier.