Baked Cheddar-Broccoli Rice Cups
Simple to whip up with ingredients you have on hand, this side is a sure kid-pleaser that adults will enjoy as well. I employ one of my favorite kitchen tricks with this recipe: Any time I use frozen broccoli or spinach that needs to be thawed and drained well, I put it inside a tea towel and literally wring it out. You will be surprised by how much water is released, and getting rid of it will prevent your finished product from becoming soggy.
- 1 cup quick-cooking rice (like Minute Rice)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 box (10 ounce) frozen, chopped broccoli, thawed and excess water squeezed out
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, divided
- 1/4 cup Homemade Ranch Dressing, or store bought
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
Prepare rice as directed on package, substituting stock for water. Place cooked rice in a large bowl and let cool slightly.
Add the remaining ingredients, using only 1/2 cup of the cheddar cheese, and stir until combined. Transfer mixture to eight well-greased muffin cups–I like to use an ice cream scoop–and top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
Bake 25 minutes at 350 degrees or until tops are lightly browned and edges are starting to get crispy.