Vanilla Bean Cupcakes with Strawberry Icing
- 1 1/2 c flour
- 1 c sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 tbsp butter room temp
- 1/2 c buttermilk room temp
- 1 egg room temp
- 2 egg yolks room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Strawberry Icing
- 1 stick butter softened
- 1/2 c fresh strawberries, halved
- 1/4 c strawberry jam or preserves
- 5-6 c powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp cream
1. Adjust oven rack to middle position. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin cups with paper.
2. Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Add butter, butter milk, egg, egg yolks and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until smooth. About 30 seconds.
3. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula and mix by hand until smooth and no flour pockets remain. Divined batter evenly among cups of prepared tin. Bake until cupcake tops are pale gold and toothpick comes out clean. About 20-24imn. Remove cupcakes from tin and transfer to wire rack to cool
1. Combine strawberries and jam and puree.
2. Place butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat for 3min or until very fluffy and pale yellow
3. Add strawberry mix, cream and 4c of powder sugar. Beat again for 2min. Slowly add more powdered sugar until consistency is smooth and creamy. Fairly stiff but still spreadable. Spread or pipe onto cooled cupcakes.