Tomato, Mozzarella And Basil Bruschetta
- 1 can whole tomatoes - (32 oz) drained
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves washed, spun dry
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves peeled
- Kosher salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large French baquettes sliced 1" thick (abt 36 slices)
- 1 1/2 pounds fresh mozzarella cheese sliced 1/4" thick
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In the bowl of a food processor, add drained tomatoes, 1 cup basil leaves, olive oil and 2 cloves garlic. Pulse until smooth, but somewhat chunky. Season with salt and pepper.
On a baking sheet, line up baguette slices. Toast in oven for about 3 minutes or until light golden brown. Working quickly, rub the remaining garlic on the toasted side of each slice and then lay a piece of mozzarella cheese on top. Place bread back in oven and melt cheese slightly, about 45 seconds. Remove from oven and spread one tablespoon of the tomato mixture on each piece.
Place bruschetta on decorative platter and garnish with basil leaves.
This recipe yields 36 bruschetta.