Salmon with Gingery Vegetables and Turmeric
Another staff favorite recipe from Food & Wine magazine, this one is heavy on anti-inflammatory ingredients: oily fish, turmeric, broccoli.
- 1/2 pound broccoli—cut into florets, stem peeled and sliced
- 1/2 pound cauliflower, cut into florets
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 Tablespoons vegetable oil, plus more for rubbing
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1-1/2 Tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped Indian lime pickle (see Note)
- Four 6-ounce salmon fillets with skin
- note: Tangy lime pickles can be found at Indian markets or at kalustyans.com.
Cooking time 30mins
Adapted from foodandwine.com
In a deep skillet, simmer the broccoli and cauliflower, covered, in 1/2 cup of the water for 3 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
In the skillet, heat the 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add the onion and ginger, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the turmeric and cook, stirring, until fragrant. Add the coconut milk, lime pickle and remaining water and bring to a simmer. Stir in the vegetables and season with salt and pepper. Cover and remove from the heat.
Preheat a grill pan. Rub the salmon with oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, skin side down, over moderately high heat until crisp, 4 minutes. Turn and grill until just cooked through, 2 minutes longer. Serve the salmon with the vegetables.