BUTTERNUT SQUASH & PESTO ROTINI
- 12 oz multigrain rotini
- 1 pkg (20 oz) diced butternut squash
- 1/2 cup roasted almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves for garnish
- 1 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
- Salt & pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup freshley grated Parmesan cheese, plus additional for garnish
1. Heat large covered saucepot of salted water to boiling on high.
2. Add rotini & squash & cook for time that pasta label directs
3. In food processor with knife blade attached, pulse almonds and garlic
until finely chopped (can also use "chop" cycle on blender)
4. Add basil, lemon peel, 1/2 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp freshly ground black
5. Pulse in blender until finely chopped
6. Remove 2/3 cup pasta cooking water from saucepot.
7. With food processor/blender running, add oil and the pasta water in a
8. Add parmesan and pulse until incorporated into pesto
9. Drain pasta & squash
10. Return to saucepot along with pesto.
11. Toss until well coated.
12. Garnish with basil and additional Parmesan, if desired.