Ginger Beef and Pork Toasts
- Butter, for greasing the baking sheet
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg white
- 8 slices of white sandwich bread
- 1 teaspoon Asian sesame oil, plus more for brushing
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
Preheat the oven to 425°. Lightly butter a large baking sheet. In a bowl, combine the ground meats, ginger, garlic, cilantro, cornstarch, salt and egg white and knead until blended.
Arrange the bread on a work surface. Divide the meat mixture among the bread slices and spread it roughly into a 3-inch square on each slice. Brush lightly with sesame oil and sprinkle with the sesame seeds. Trim the bread into 3-inch squares, then cut each square into quarters. Transfer to the baking sheet.
Bake for 10 minutes, until the meat is cooked through. Turn on the broiler. Broil the toasts for 2 minutes, until lightly browned.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, rice vinegar and the 1 teaspoon of sesame oil. Transfer the toasts to a platter and serve with the dipping sauce.