Granny's Beef Stroganoff
We like to serve this delicious stroganoff over broad egg noodles or, as shown, over spaetzel. Don't be shy about the flavorings, just taste as you go. Light sour cream works just as well as the regular style.
- 1 pound stew beef or beef tenderloin
- 1 cup Sauterne wine
- 1/2 pound white or brown mushrooms
- 1-2 tablespoons butter, margarine, Smart Balance
- 2 medium onions
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon butter, margarine, Smart Balance
- 1 1/2 tablespoon (4-1/2 teaspoons) flour
- 1 1/2 tablespoon catsup
- 1 tablespoon Worstershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3/4 to 1 cup sour cream
- Beef broth
Cut beef tenderloin into 1/4-inch wide strips. Place in bowl, cover, and let marinate in Sauterne overnight.
Sauté mushrooms in butter over medium heat and set aside.
Cut onion into thin strips, and sauté with minced garlic in butter over medium heat until soft, about 3 minutes. Add beef and reduce heat slightly. Cook to medium-rare.
Add about 1-1/2 T. flour, stirring well into beef-onion mixture. Add 1-1/2 T catsup and 1 tablespoon Worstershire Sauce, then add tarragon and salt and pepper to taste.
Add between 3/4 and 1 cup of sour cream, reduce heat to low, and mix for about 30 seconds, then allow to simmer for one minute. Raise heat back to medium, and stir until mixture slides around the pan in a unified mass. Add mushrooms.
If necessary, thin with a bit of beef broth.
You'll also love
- Spinach Corn Bread 4.4/5 (35 Votes)
- Lemon Supreme Pie 4.3/5 (57 Votes)
- Jack Daniel’s Bacon Mac and... 4.1/5 (35 Votes)
- Katie Lee's Beef Stroganoff 4.5/5 (30 Votes)
Review this recipe