- 2 pounds quality beef stew meat, round steak or sirloin steak cut 1" pieces
- 1 cup chopped onion (white, red, or yellow)
- 4 garlic cloves - (to 5) minced
- 1 pound fresh shiitake mushrooms sliced, with
- stems removed
- 16 ounces cultured sour cream
- 1 can Campbell's tomato soup - (8 oz)
- 2 cans Campbell's cream of mushroom soup - (8 oz ea)
- 1 cup Burgundy wine - (about) (or other full-bodied red wine)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce - (to 2)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1 large bag extra-wide egg noodles
- Parmesan cheese (for sprinkling over sauce)
Cover beef stew meat (or cubed steak) with flour (shake ingredients in a paper bag). Fry in vegetable oil or olive oil until lightly browned on the outside (this will help to keep the meat moist and juicy). Put browned meat into a large kettle, and add the onion, garlic, and mushrooms.
Combine all the remaining ingredients (except the sour cream) under low heat, stirring constantly; then increase heat until mixture just begins to boil. Return sauce to simmer, and cover kettle. Cook for at least one hour, stirring mixture occasionally, and taste-testing to adjust ingredients.
Add some salt to another kettle of water, and bring to a rapid boil. Add sour cream to sauce about 20 minutes before serving, stirring it in well, and increasing heat slightly. Leave sauce uncovered at this point. Cook pasta according to package directions until al dente; drain and rinse with hot water. Spoon sauce generously over pasta on plates, sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese, and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.