Lentil Salad with Goat Cheese and Mint
- 1 cup(s) dry lentils, French green-variety, washed, picked over to remove debris
- 2 leaf/leaves bay leaf
- 1/2 small uncooked red onion(s), coarsely chopped
- 3 Tbsp mint leaves, fresh, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 tsp table salt, or to taste
- 1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground, or to taste
- 1/4 cup(s) semisoft goat cheese, crumbled
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 45mins
Place lentils in a medium saucepan and pour over enough water to cover lentils by 2 to 3 inches. Add bay leaves and set pan over high heat; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and partially cover pan; simmer until lentils are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes. Drain lentils; discard bay leaves and transfer lentils to a large bowl.
While lentils are still warm, stir in onion and mint; season to taste with salt and pepper. Sprinkle cheese over salad just before serving; serve warm or chilled. Yields about 1/2 cup per serving.
If you add the cheese while the lentils are still hot, it will melt and be tasted but not be visible.
Turn this side dish into a complete meal by adding 1/2 pound of cooked medium shrimp or 2 cups of diced cooked chicken (will affect PointsPlus values).
For a nice flavor change, swap fresh parsley for the mint leaves.
Drizzle with balsamic vinegar, if desired.