Creamy Stove-Top Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 cups uncooked medium elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoons Dijon mustard*
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- *This recipe calls for 2 teaspoons Dijon Mustard, but I think its too mustardy, so I use less.
Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain and set aside.
While pasta cooks, place flour, salt, and pepper in a large saucepan. Add milk, stirring with a whisk until well blended. Drop cream cheese by teaspoonfuls into milk mixture; bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat; simmer 2 minutes or until thick and cream cheese melts, stirring occasionally. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire, and garlic; simmer 1 minute. Remove from heat. Add cheddar cheese, stirring until cheese melts. Combine pasta and cheese sauce in a large bowl; toss well.