- 2 rabbits cut serving pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium onion
- 4 whole cloves
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup port
- 2 1/2 cups beef stock or bouillion
Stud the peeled onion with the whole cloves. Make a small bouquet garni by tying the peppercorns, parsley, thyme and bay leaf in a small cheesecloth pouch. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Sprinkle rabbit pieces with salt and pepper and sauté in the butter until brown on all sides. Place in a 3-quart casserole. Add salt, bouquet garni and studded onion, followed by the lemon juice, port and stock or boullion. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours.
Ten minutes before it's done, remove the cheesecloth bag. The pan juices can be thickened to make a gravy.
This recipe yields 5 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (812 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (704 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (666 Votes)
- Spice-Rubbed Chicken with Duck... 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Roasted Veal Chops with Grapes 5/5 (5 Votes)
- Veal Chops Saltimboca with Tomato... 5/5 (4 Votes)