- BLACKENING SPICE:
- 10 catfish fillets - (6 to 10 oz ea)
- 1 pound unsalted butter - (4 sticks) melted, kept warm
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly-ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Before leaving home, use a fork to thoroughly combine blackening spice ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container until ready to use.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet until it is almost white hot. Dip each piece of fish in melted butter, then sprinkle some blackening spice mix evenly on each side. Immediately place the fish in the hot skillet, cooking one piece at a time.
Pour a teaspoon of melted butter atop the fish. (Be careful; the butter may flame up.) Cook about two minutes, turn, and pour another teaspoon of butter on top. Cook two minutes more. When the fish is done, it should be flaky, white and still very moist inside.
Serve each piece while piping hot with more hot melted butter on the side for dipping.
This recipe yields ?? servings.