Red-Cooked Chicken Thighs
- 4 pounds chicken thighs - (abt 8)
- 2 tablespoons Asian seasoning
- 1 1/4 cups chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup Chinese wine (or medium-dry Sherry)
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 4 cinnamon sticks - (3" ea)
- 4 whole star anise
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in
- 8 teaspoons water
Season the chicken thighs with the Asian seasoning.
Heat a large Dutch oven over high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning, until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. With tongs, transfer to a plate. Lower the heat to medium and add 1 cup of the green onions and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Add the ginger and cook for 30 seconds. Add the stock, water, soy sauce, wine, vinegar, cinnamon and star anise and bring to a boil. Lower the temperature and simmer for 20 minutes. Return the chicken to the pan, cover, and braise over medium-low heat until tender, about 45 minutes.
Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Increase the heat to medium, add the cornstarch slurry and cook, stirring, until the sauce is thick and shiny, about 5 minutes.
To serve, spoon the rice into the center of each of 4 large plates. Arrange 2 thighs on the rice and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Garnish with the remaining 1/4 cup of green onions.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (872 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Sausage, Egg & Biscuit Casserole 4.5/5 (703 Votes)
- Crockpot Cheese Tortellini and... 4.5/5 (665 Votes)
- Crazy Good Chicken Casserole 4.5/5 (383 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.5/5 (379 Votes)