Chicken With 40 Cloves Of Garlic And Grilled Radicchio
- GRILLED RADICCIO:
- 1 chicken - (abt 4 lbs) rinsed, patted dry
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 fresh parsley sprigs
- 1 fresh rosemary sprig
- 1 fresh thyme sprig
- 1 bay leaf
- 40 garlic cloves unpeeled (from 3 to 4 heads of garlic)
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- French bread optional
- 2 heads radicchio quartered
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Rub the cavity and outside of the chicken with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, and season with the salt and pepper. Place the parsley, rosemary, thyme and bay leaf inside the chicken. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and fold the wings under bird.
In a large Dutch oven or small heavy roasting pan, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken and cook, turning carefully to avoid tearing the skin, until golden brown on all sides, about 8 minutes.
Remove from the heat and transfer the chicken to a large plate. Add the garlic cloves and celery to the pan. Return the chicken to the pan, breast-side up, and pour the white wine over the top. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and then top with a lid to create an airtight seal. Bake for 1 1/2 hours without removing the cover.
For the Grilled Radicchio: Preheat a grill or grill pan. Toss the radicchio wedges with the balsamic vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Arrange in a single layer on the grill and cook until tender, about 15 minutes.
Remove the chicken from the oven and transfer the chicken to a platter and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. Spoon the pan juices and whole garlic cloves over each portion of chicken, and pass the remaining juices and garlic tableside with French bread for dipping.
Remove the radicchio from the grill and serve hot or at room temperature.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
You'll also love
- Thai-Style New Zealand Green Shell... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin En Croute 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Grilled Marinated Fish With... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Country Ham With Orange Pan Sauce 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Lentils With Bulgur Wheat And... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cornish Game Hens, With Orzo... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Whole Fish Baked In Tomatoes,... 0/5 (0 Votes)