- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 cup freshly squeezed grape-fruit juice
- 1/2 cup Aperol
- 1/2 cup vanilla sugar or regular sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon orange bitters or more to taste
- Finely grated orange zest, for garnish (optional)
Adapted from online.wsj.com
Place all ingredients in a 9-by-13-inch baking dish and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Cover dish with plastic wrap and place in freezer. Use a fork to stir mixture every 30 minutes, scraping edges and breaking up any ice chunks, until granita is frozen, about 3 hours total.
To serve, scoop granita into chilled serving glasses. Garnish with orange zest, if desired.