Mexicali Beef Pie
- 15 oz ground beef
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt, divided
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1/4 cup drained canned mild chili peppers
- 1 cup plus 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp double-acting baking powder
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 3 eggs
- 3 oz cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
Crumble fry ground beef till all pink is gone; add onions, chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt, cumin and pepper. Put into sprayed 10X10 baking dish; set aside.
In medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, and remaining 1/2 tsp salt. Mix with pastry blender. Cut in margarine until mixture resembles course meal. Add milk and eggs and, using wire whisk, beat until batter is smooth; pour over meat mixture. Bake until topping is puffed and lightly browned, 35 - 40 mins. Sprinkle with cheese and tomato slices and bake for another 3 to 5 mins.