- 2 c. olive oil or canola
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 c chopped onions
- 5 c. drained and chopped Italian tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 1/2 t. dried basil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 T. flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 eggplants peeled and cut into 1/3 inch slices
- 1 c. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c dice mozzarella cheese
1. Heat ¼ c. oil in heavy skillet, add garlic and onions and sauté until onion is transparent. Add the tomatoes, basil and salt and pepper, cook, stirring occasionally, 30 min.
2. Preheat oven to 350
3. Combine the flour, egg and ¼ teaspoon salt. Dip the eggplant slices in the batter and fry in the remaining oil until lightly browned on both sides.
4. Place alternate layers of eggplant, sauce and cheeses in a lg. casserole. Dot the top with butter and bake 30 min.