Green Apple Chutney
- 3 pounds Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2/3 cup currants
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
In a large non-reactive saucepan, combine all ingredients over high heat until the sugar melts and the syrup begins to boil. Stir to combine well, reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the liquid has reduced to a thick syrup, the apples are very tender and the onions are transparent, about 40 minutes.
Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature. Transfer to a non-reactive bowl and refrigerate, covered, for up to 1 month.
This recipe yields about 5 cups.