Tapas: Tomatillo Guacamole
Vegan and Gluten Free. Tomatillos’ unique, tart flavor combines well with avocados, cilantro, and lime juice in this variation of the well-loved Mexican dip. Serve with chips or, for better nutrition, jicama sticks, which increase the vitamin C and banish bad fats in one move. Jicama also has a very satisfying, juicy crunch.
- 4 large tomatillos (skin removed, washed)
- 2-3 ripe avocados (peeled and pitted)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 small red or white onion (finely diced)
- 2 serrano chile peppers (seeded and finely diced or minced)
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Add tomatillos; cook for about 3 minutes, until starting to lighten in color. Drain, refresh under cold water, dry, and cut into ¼-inch dice
Place avocado flesh in a medium bowl; add lime juice and salt, and mash to a pulp. Add tomatillos, onion, and chiles, stirring to combine. Add cilantro and mix well. Serve.