- 2 medium eggplants, peeled
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan for breadcrumbs, plus 6 tablespoons for topping
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 6 large eggs, beaten, with 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups marinara sauce
- Vegetable oil
Cut eggplant into 1/4" rounds, salt place in a colander allow to weep for one hour.
Press eggplant dry between paper towels.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
Lightly oil a shallow 9"x13" glass or ceramic baking pan and cover bottom with a layer of marinara sauce.
Combine breadcrumbs with 1/2 cup parmesan in a pie plate.
Set up a dredging station of flour, eggs, and bread crumbs.
Heat a large skillet on medium high. Pour in oil to 1/4" depth.
Dredge the eggplant in flour, then eggs, then breadcrumbs. Fry in oil (adjusting heat as necessary) until golden brown on both sides and drain on paper towels. Lightly salt one side of the eggplant.
Place a layer of overlapping eggplant in the baking pan. Sprinkle two tablespoons of parmesan on top. Ladle another layer of sauce on top, then a layer of mozzarella. Repeat layer of eggplant, parmesan, sauce and mozzarella, then finish with two tablespoons parmesan.
Bake approximately 20-30 minutes, until cheese is hot and bubbly. remove from oven and allow to sit 10 minutes before serving.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (905 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (742 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (499 Votes)
- Lighter Eggplant Parmesan 4.6/5 (38 Votes)
- Eggplant Parmesan 4.6/5 (40 Votes)
- Eggplant Parmesan - Lynn 5/5 (1 Votes)