Old Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie
- 1 C sweetened flaked coconut
- 3 C half and half
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 C white sugar
- 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 9 in pie shell, baked
- 1 C frozen whipped topping, thawed
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Spread the coconut on a baking sheet and bake, stirrng occasionally until golden brown, about 8 minutes.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine the half and half, eggs, flour and salt and mix well. Bring to a boil over low heat, stiffing constantly.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in 3/4 C of the toasted coconut and the vanilla extract.
5 Reserve the remaining coconut to top the pie.
6. Pour the filling into the pie shell and chill until firm, about 4 hours.
7. Top with whipped topping and with the remaining coconut.