- 1 head escarole
- 1/4 cup shell or elbow macaroni
- Boiling Salted water
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons finly chopped onion
- 4 cups Brown Stock or 2 cans regular strenght chicken broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme leaves,crumbled
- Salt and pepper
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
Discard coarse outer leaves of escarole,wash,drain and stack tender green leaves and cut into strips about 1/4 inch wide (you should have about 6 cups,lightly packed);set aside.
Cook macaroni in boiling salted water according to package directions until just tender;drain ans set aside.In a 2-quart pan over medium heheat,melt butter.Add oniion and escarole,and cook,stirring for about 3 minutes.Add broth,nutmeg,and thyme;bring to a boil.Add cooked macaroni and salt and pepper to taste.Cook for about 1 minute longer.Seve with Parmesan cheese to add to each serving.