Flos Mango Shortcake With A Fresh Coconut Ice Cream
- FOR THE CAKE:
- 6 ripe mangos peeled, cored, and medium diced
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons chiffonade fresh mint leaves
- 1 pinch freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon butter plus
- 1/3 cup butter at room temperature
- 1/3 cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 recipe Fresh Coconut Ice Cream II (see recipe)
For the Mangos: In a mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside while making the cake.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a half sheet pan with parchment paper. Butter the entire pan with 1 tablespoon of the butter.
For the Cake: Using an electric mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the 1/3 cup butter, shortening, and sugar together. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, and mix well. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder. Add the flour mixture alternately with the milk. Mix well. Add the vanilla.
Pour into the prepared pan. Place in the oven on the middle rack. Bake until the top is golden and the cake springs back, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes in the pan.
Place a piece of parchment paper over the rack and carefully invert the cake onto a wire rack. Carefully remove the parchment paper on the bottom of the cake. Allow the cake to cool completely.
Slice the cake into 24 equal pieces. Place 2 pieces of the cake in each serving bowl. Spoon some of the mango mixture over the cake. Place a couple of scoops of the ice cream on top of the mango mixture and serve.
This recipe yields 12 servings.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (891 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.4/5 (905 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (742 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (499 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (289 Votes)
- Strawberry Coconut Chia Seed... 4.5/5 (210 Votes)
- Coconut Chicken with Sweet Chili... 4.5/5 (146 Votes)