Grilled Shellfish With Romesco Sauce
- FOR THE SAUCE:
- 4 fresh lobster tails split in half
- 1 pound fresh scampi
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled, deveined
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 slices white bread crust removed
- 3 dried ancho peppers soaked, seeded, and minced
- 1 small fresh serrano or jalapeño pepper split in half
- 3 whole garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped peeled, seeded tomatoes
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds roasted
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts roasted
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh parsley leaves
Preheat the grill. Season the seafood with olive oil, salt and pepper. Place on the grill and cook in batches until the seafood is done. (Add the items that will take longer to cook first on the grill i.e. the lobster, scampi and then shrimp.)
In a large sauté pan, over medium heat, add the oil. When the oil is hot, add the bread and fry until golden on each side, about 2 minutes. Remove and set aside. In the same pan, add the peppers. Sauté for 1 minute and remove from the pan. Reserve the oil.
In a food processor, combine the peppers and garlic. Process until a paste forms. Add the reserved fried bread, tomatoes and nuts. Process until smooth. Add the vinegar, 2 to 3 tablespoons of the reserved oil and season with salt. Process for 15 seconds. Add the parsley and process for 5 seconds. Remove and store in an airtight container under refrigeration until ready to use. (Yields about 1 cup)
Remove the seafood from the grill. Serve the sauce with the grilled seafood on a large platter. Garnish with parsley.
This recipe yields 4 servings.